Top 10 Air Show Tips for Families
Updated: Aug 24
SOMERSET, KENTUCKY — With the 2021 Lake Cumberland Air Show coming up, we all know that planning the perfect family day out can be difficult. We've put together a Top 10 Air Show Tips for Families to help you plan for the exciting afternoon at the Lake Cumberland Regional Airport!
10. Invest in ear protection for children.
Yes, there will be earplugs at the show but some of the planes can be noisy. While there are no jets in the lineup, you won’t want to be miserable because your kids are suddenly scared or worse yet, their ears hurt. The announcer does a great job of letting the crowd know when protection is needed ahead of time so they won’t need to wear them all day.
9. Bring hand sanitizer and disposable wipes.
Portable toilets. Enough said.
8. Make a personal Lost & Found point.
Consider taking a picture of your children the morning of the show to be shared with the airshow safety and security team if you get separated from each other. Also, writing your cell phone number on your child’s arm or hand with permanent marker is a great idea. Do what you would do going to any large event such as an amusement park, fair or professional sporting event.
7. Bring bag chairs.
Different than an outdoor concert where a blanket might work, you will definitely want a chair for this event because the pavement can get hot and uncomfortable.
6. Make sure everyone wears comfortable shoes.
We really can’t stress this one enough, and the walk from the parking lots and the festival area can be a short haul as well.
5. What should I wear to to the air show?
1. Bring ponchos instead of umbrellas! The weather forecast looks amazing for the upcoming Lake Cumberland Air Show but should our unpredictable Kentucky weather switch things up on us (never happens right?!?) you want to be able to move quickly, stay dry, and be able to watch the show even if it’s raining.
2. Wear sunscreen and reapply often! Shade is scarce at the air show to allow for the amazing views of the planes.
3. Consider a hat for children and sunglasses for everyone because much of the day will be spent looking towards the sky.
4. Use the restroom BEFORE leaving the show.
As with any large event, with hundreds of people leaving at the same time you may have some car time on your hands while you wait in traffic.
3. Bring cash.
There will be ATMs onsite but it will be easier for you to have cash. Most food and beverage vendors take card but it doesn't hurt to have some cash on your person. We also recommend bringing in small snack pack for the kiddos.
2. See it all!
Of course with the flying display taking place from 1-3 PM on Sunday, August 29, there will be other activities around the grounds to include plane & helicopter rides and kids inflatables.
1. Don’t forget your camera or smartphone!
Be sure to use #LakeCumberlandAirShow to share your pics on social media!
The 2021 Lake Cumberland Air Show presented by Don Franklin Somerset Family of Dealerships takes flight on Sunday, August 29 at the Lake Cumberland Regional Airport in Somerset, KY. Thanks to our community partners, admission is FREE! For more information on performers and activities, visit lakecumberlandairshow.com