Top 10 Air Show Tips for Families
SOMERSET, KENTUCKY — With the 2022 Lake Cumberland Air Show coming up on Saturday, September 17, we all know that planning the perfect family day out can be difficult. We've put together a Top 10 Air Show Tips for Families to help you plan for the exciting afternoon at the Lake Cumberland Regional Airport!
10. Invest in ear protection for children.
Some of the planes can be noisy... very noisy! While the entire day won't be boom and zoom, you won’t want to be miserable because your kids are suddenly scared or worse yet, their ears hurt. The announcer does a great job of letting the crowd know when protection is needed ahead of time so they won’t need to wear them all day.
9. Bring hand sanitizer and disposable wipes.
Portable toilets. Enough said.
8. Make a personal Lost & Found point.
Consider taking a picture of your children the morning of the air show on your smart phone, just in case so the event staff can help if you get separated. Also, writing your cell phone number on your child’s arm or hand with permanent marker is a great idea. Do what you would do going to any large event such as an amusement park, fair or professional sporting event.
7. Bring bag chairs.
Different than an outdoor concert where a blanket might work, you will definitely want a chair for this event because the pavement can get hot and uncomfortable. Collapsible camping chairs work best and can be carried onto the parking lot shuttles.
6. Make sure everyone wears comfortable shoes.
We really can’t stress this one enough, and the walk from the parking lots and around the air show area can be a short haul as well.
5. What should I wear to to the air show?
1. Bring ponchos instead of umbrellas! The weather forecast looks amazing for the upcoming Lake Cumberland Air Show but should our unpredictable Kentucky weather switch things up on us (never happens right?!?). So you want to be able to move quickly, stay dry, and be able to watch the show even if it’s raining.
2. Wear sunscreen and reapply often! Shade is scarce at the air show to allow for the amazing views of the planes.
3. Consider a hat for children and sunglasses for everyone because much of the day will be spent looking towards the sky.
4. Use the restroom BEFORE leaving the show.
As with any large event, with hundreds of people leaving at the same time you may have some time sitting in the car. We have worked closely with our local law enforcement agencies to ensure traffic flow, but it's good to plan ahead just in case!
3. Print or Screenshot your tickets!
We recommend either printing your tickets ahead of time, or having them available on your smartphone by taking a screenshot, just in case cell reception gets a little bogged down with all of the attendees we are expecting for the day. We also recommend buying your tickets before you arrive, as tickets are only available online.
2. See it all!
With the formal flying display taking place from 12:30 - 3 PM on Saturday, September 17 there will be other activities around the grounds to many airplanes to look at, exhibitors, and kids inflatables.
1. Don’t forget your camera or smartphone!
Be sure to use #LakeCumberlandAirShow to share your pics on social media!
The 2022 Lake Cumberland Air Show presented by Don Franklin Somerset Family of Dealerships takes flight on Saturday, September 17 at the Lake Cumberland Regional Airport in Somerset, KY. Tickets are available in advance for $10 ($15 day of), and kids 6 and under are free For more information on performers and activities, visit lakecumberlandairshow.com